Sukawati area is known for its art market that become ‘a must see’ place by tourists especially the local ones from Jakarta or other area in Java. Huge number of small stalls occupied the two stories building offer a lot of cheap souvenirs. Almost any kind of Bali’s souvenirs can be found in here either painting, woodcarving, clothes, temple umbrellas and other temple accessories, leather puppet, wind chime, jewelries and others. The souvenirs choices are has huge quantity and available in various choices
Sukawati road-facing market located in_Gianyar Regency has a strategic position, as it is passed through during the tour to some destinations to the east. Sukawati art market is close to Celuk village, the center of gold & silversmiths. We can drop in after watching barong and Kris dance performance in the morning. It cans be accessed through bemo transport, tour bus or taxi
Two hundred meters toward west from the Sukawati Art Market, on the right side of the road, there is another market called ‘Pasar Seni Pagi’ or ‘the morning Art Market’ which only open very early in the morning until around 7 AM. The crowd of souvenirs retailers from other part of Bali will come here to get semi-finished product with a very low price. Many of Bali’s most established puppeteers live in Sukawati. In line with this fact, Sukawati is also the center of Shadow puppets production center. The leather puppet, ‘wayang kulit’ are made either of cow or buffalo hide
Sukawati market is one of the art market is very famous in Bali. Sukawati market is in many art objects (paintings, sculptures, decorative masks, unique jewelry, etc.) and industrial goods (bedcovers, clothes, bags, slippers, etc.), all have models and motifs characteristic of the island of Bali. The price of goods is also relatively affordable here because for sale at very cheap. If you want to shop at this Sukawati market, should come in the morning around 8 a.m -10 a.m because the seller had just finished prayers. They have confidence if the first buyer at his store, which will bring good fortune throughout the day smoothly. Under these conditions it is possible for us to try to offer items that we like. But here also have to shop carefully and consider the quality of goods. Do not let you disappointed with the item purchased for not choosing to do things during the transaction.
How to Get To Sukawati Market
1. 40 minutes from Sanur
2. 50 minutes from Kuta
3. 15 minutes from Ubud
What You Can See Around Sukawati Market
1. Mas Village lies on the main road, 20 km to the north of Denpasar and 6 km before Ubud, in a hilly countryside covered with ricefields and irrigated year-round by the waters of the Batuan aud Sakah river.
2. Celuk is the right destination for gold and silver lovers, where its main road is adorned with many gold or silver galleries in traditional or modern buildings. Good quality gold or silver accessories in unusual designs and fair pricing, some even made to your order, if you have your own design.
3. Rudana Museum was established in 1995, with the main aim of providing an outstanding collection of paintings for the public to study and enjoy. Its presence must also be considered as complementing the existing total of fine art museums, which are much needed in order to improve the community\'s level in the appreciation of the arts.
4. Ubud Palace, Bali saw a significant influx of overseas visitors during the 1930\'s. This first wave of tourism was focused in and around Ubud due to the business confidence of Tjokorde Gede Agung Sukawati who was proficient in English and Dutch.
5. Bali Zoo is the perfect wildlife conservatory for the finest collection of Indonesian and other countries exotic animals. The Zoo takes visitors on a virtual jungle tour, where you can see the animals close up, and admire the tropical flora and beautiful setting.